Old 05-18-08, 04:18 PM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SPD cleats are recessed so you don't have the instability problems that you get with cleats like LOOK that stick out from the sole. The soles of cycling shoes are pretty rigid, so they never make really good walking shoes. But a decent pair of modest priced cycling shoes picked with an eye towards walking and SPD cleats works well if you need to walk much. Locally, I wear LOOK cleats and excursions into convenience stores are fraut with hazard and danger. Well, it isn't that bad but one has to be really careful about slipping. When I go on multiday tours in scenic areas where I will want to get off the bike and walk to a scenic spot, I used shoes with SPD cleats and they work just fine on short hikes (about a mile or so). They are not walking shoes or anything like that. They are not quite as good on the bike as dedicated cycling shoes and cleats but they are about 90% of that. They are not as good as walking shoes but they are about 500% better than road shoes and cleats but then again, bare feet are a big improvement over road shoes and cleats and that is when you are walking on broken glass.