Old 05-19-08, 08:07 PM
digitalbicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyingcadet

2) When replacing parts, only go for things that are still in production or will remain in production for some time. When I had to get a new freewheel for my Vega, I spent about two months trying to find a NOS (New Old Stock) 14-34 Suntour freewheel...That didn't happen.
As I'm not sure I made it clear in my last post, the IRD freewheels w/a 32t large cog are still in production and are available from reputable online retailers like Rivendell and Harris Cyclery. However, your point about the search for NOS parts is well taken, especially if you're not somebody for whom the thrill of the chase makes it worthwhile. I know I'm not.

3) Avoid Cold setting the frame. As the last poster shows, cold setting can potentially make the frame unrideable. If it must be cold set, I advise letting a pro mechanic with frame alignment tools do it. Also, some frames can't have it done to them period, which is another reason to let a pro mechanic look at the frame. My Vega has lugged chainstays, and all my research shows that Lugged frames can't be cold set without damaging the lug. Also, keep the change small, 5-6 mm appears to be the limit for most required cold settings.
Do you mean the chainstays are brazed into a bottom bracket lug? If this is what you're talking about, you've received some misinformation (and my apologies if you mean something else that I don't understand). I've coldset a lugged frame from 126mm to 130mm with no problems, and many other posters on the Classic & Vintage board have done the same, as well as going from 126mm to 135mm in some cases. I'd agree with you about the frame alignment tools. I'm no pro mechanic, but I did it at my local bike coop and used their alignment tools and they were very handy. At the very least I'd recommend a set of candlesticks to make sure the dropouts are parallel.