Old 05-21-08, 01:17 PM
bats

Bikes: Vitus 992

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
I taught myself to build wheels. I've built five sets now and they all turned out great, with no need for subsequent truing. Planning on building a 6th set next week. What you need to do it right from the get go is a tensiometer, a truing stand (even a homemade one, like a fork with a pencil taped to it will work), a good set of instructions, and some patience. If you have those things, you can build a wheelset that is better than any machine built wheel, and probably better than what many LBSs would build for you.

The tensiometer will make it much easier and it more than pays for itself by permanently eliminating not only the labor charges for a custom build but also all your subsequent visits to the LBS for wheel maintenance.

Building wheels is not magic nor is is rocket science. It just involves lacing and tensioning spokes and isn't much more difficult than tuning a stringed instrument, though it takes a little longer.
+1

Building your own wheel really isn't that hard, especially if you have any sort of desire to learn.