Old 05-21-08, 09:32 PM
SpaceNerd
Just a girl on a bike...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before I road down a 6 lane road that was an extended 5 mile downhill slope at 20+ mph with the wind to my back in swiftly moving post work day traffic I was a lot more worried about it too. In fact I was nearly terrified for the first mile before I realized that the cars were really giving me all the space I needed and that I was really just a normal part of their commute home from work. I was actually in more danger of hitting the rider ahead of me than I was being hit by a car at that point. The point I'm trying to make is that its all relative. Right now it seems pretty scary because you havn't done it very much. The trick is to be confident and get through it the first time so that the next time seems easier. Then you'll have the confidence to do it again on a more daunting road.

That being said I had the joy of learning to interact with motor vehicles in Phoenix which I find to be a pretty bike friendly city. I'm about to start riding in rural Michigan and the hicks and hillbillys terrify me here. I basically have to start over and get used to riding on rural highways with semis and scary pickup drivers. I know that if I don't just go out and do it then I'll never do it. Like others have said I went out and purchased a mirror so that I have a little faster indicator of vehicles before they get right up behind me.

But for the love of all that is safe remember to signal! I hate it when cars don't do it and I hate it just as much when bikes don't. Just remember to observe all rules of the road (because you're not immune just because you're on a bike). Don't do anything that you're not completly comfortable with even if that means walking your bike for a little while. Most importantly have fun!

Last edited by SpaceNerd; 05-21-08 at 09:47 PM.