View Single Post
Old 10-15-04, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Phatman
I just got a heart rate moniter, its a cheap $20 target-brand piece of junk, but it does tell me my heart rate (and max, low, and average!). anyway, so I have done a few rides with it, and I'm having two problems. I am now doing base training to start racing this febuary, and so I am trying to keep my heart rate between 120-160 (60 and 80%). however, going up hills almost always shoots my heart rate up to 160 or more, and i have to go like 10 mph up all hills which is a good 5 mph slower then I'm used to. then, on the way down the decent, i have to practically sprint becuase my heart rate then plummets to 100 or lower on the decent. Raleigh is almost all rolling hills, so I cant seem to find an area that will keep my heart rate at a constant 140-150.

So, for you guys and gals using HRMs for base training, do you have any tips for keeping the heart rate in the target range in hilly areas? This is kinda getting on my nerves...will it hurt my base building later on in the season?

If you were training base, there wouldn't be any hill training. Base is riding long, comfortable rides at low heart rates so that your body can recover from the stress of the season. Once your body recovers, then it's time to start increasing the intensity, and you'll move into endurance/tempo training rides.

You may want to consider getting a trainer or an indoor cycle if you can't seem to find anyplace to ride that will allow you to keep your heart rate at a lower, steady rate.

Koffee