Thread: seniors driving
View Single Post
Old 10-16-04, 04:33 AM
cyclingshane73
Compulsive Upgrader

Bikes: 2002 Kona Deluxe (road), 2001 Cove Stiffee (mtb)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtn Mike
If you're on a bike, I'd wager that you are much more likely to be killed by 1) a 15-20 year old male "boy racer", 2) a cell phone talking, SUV driving, soccer mom,or 3) a drunken redneck in a Dodge pickup At least thats how it is where I have lived. A careful 80 year old who has passed his drivers license test should be perfectly fine to drive. Similarly, I'll tell you that there are 50 year olds that for various reasons have lost most of their vision and shouldn't be on the road. But because they don't look "old", no one with authority will ever take away their license. These are the ones to look out for.

I do agree with mandatory drivers license testing for seniors, but don't assume that every senior citizen on the road is a poor driver. Just isn't so.
Hey I agree with you that it's not just certain seniors who can be dangerous drivers. All the other categories of drivers you mentioned worry me just as much. I just thought I'd share a story relevant to the thread title/topic. I've also said my piece in other threads on the SUV's, street racing, etc. I think the problem is that most people forget regardless of age that having a DL is a privilege not a right. And by taking that privilege away from them, they think that their rights are being taken away.
"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs. We should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power." -P.J. O'Rourke