Old 05-23-08, 02:50 PM
MIN 
big ring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
scattante ssr fixed build

story - i thought i'd share some photos of my scanttante ssr frame and salsa casseroll fork. i had intended to build this up as a commuter bike. then i saw a sweet lemond fillmore 06 on CL so I bought that bike and built it up with the intention to sell the scattante frameset. i tried to sell the scattante on portland.craigslist for a reasonable price but i didn't even get a single bite. now i have an orphaned frame and fork. it certainly lacks street cred with the 'me-too' crowd but it's a nice setup, particularly for the price i paid for it.

i am on vacation now but when i return, i am going to build this up and sell it as a complete bike or maybe just keep it as my beater.

details - this is 58cm (56 c-c) and weighs 4.2 pounds. it's got integrated chain tugs and double butted cro-mo tubing. the downtube is somewhat ovalized and tapered. the sales brochure states that the tubing is mitred at an angle parellel to the connection points and that smaller weld beads can be used with this process. it certainly looks that way. the welds are tiny and very uniform. the decals are over the clearcoat, (woot woot.)

misses - did not come with bottle cage bolts and seat post collar. the frames lack rear rack mounts but the salsa fork will accept one

geometry - is wierd. it's got 74/75 deg angles with a road-like 40.5cm chainstay. i like the CS length but i didn't like the ultra steep angles so that's why i bought the salsa casseroll fork from QBP. it's a 385mm axel-to-crown fork, which is 15mm taller than a traditional road/track fork (368mm). this will have the effect of slackening the HTA and STA down to ~73 deg and raising the BB height slightly by ~6mm. (I did some math.)

this thead - i hope to track my progress to share with others; i will continue to bump this thread with photos with build updates.

photos -