Old 05-23-08, 09:42 PM
MikeyLikesIt

Bikes: Merlin/Campy road, Giant Rincon Playbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 02EBZ
You don't say if the color is metallic or not but if it is metallic and you sanded it before clear coating chances are that you will see the sand scratches. Dupont specifically states not to sand the base before clearcoating. Doing so actually compromises adhesion. I'm not sure about other paint manufacturers. If it is a solid color chances are you will be OK going ahead and clearing. Also you should not wipe basecoat with turpentine. The oily residue can cause fisheyes in the clearcoat. A damp cloth would remove any residue and then wipe with a tack cloth. If you are using metallic and you want to be sure not to see scratches I would apply another coat of base before clearing. Good Luck

02EBZ is correct.
As long as you apply the clearcoat within the manufactures time frame there is no need to sand the base coat. If for some reason you have to sand the basecoat, ie. dirt particles, then apply another light base coat. Always follow the the directions on the product container...especially with base coat/clear coat. I painted cars for a living for over twenty years...I know what I'm talking about.

Mikey