Old 05-24-08, 10:51 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by talleymonster
I agree. I think as time goes he will have to adjust his prices a bit, but I will still use him. He'll probably still be cheaper than going to the LBS...and I'll get to learn from him as well.
I think that's the key, the learning/interactive bit. First of all, he sounds very people oriented, i.e. he isn't swearing at the customer as soon as they walk out the door. Who knows, maybe he does swear at them, but it seems he could have chosen something very different to do if he was like that.

For those who appreciate some personal attention, such a person is great. No matter how much you teach someone, usually the customer will hit a point where the customer simply doesn't want to do the work. I know *how* to change a timing belt in a car, but I pay someone else to do it. I do my own brakes, but, given the choice, I've left suspension work to someone else. But if someone gave me a bit more attention when I asked them a question, I'll bring my work them that person first.

I hope that his business works out. With much lower overhead (lease/truck payments will be lower than rent, no utilities except fuel and maintenance) he can try and offset his limited availability by using the internet. He can only make $10/hour (or whatever - I didn't check the links). But if he sells expensive stuff at 15% over cost, he can sell a lot of parts while he's out doing repair work (and do a full keystone on repair parts that he stocks).

Oh, I looked at his links. $25/hour. Seems a bit low, but that's based on CT prices. And he spells brakes "breaks". Arg.

cdr