Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacfarinas
Hi,

I'm not quite sure which forum this should go on but thought maybe us larger persons would be the most sympathetic. My wife (6' tall but not heavy) got a Fuji Roubaix last year as her first roadbike. But like me, at times, she feels nervous about the thin tires. So today I switch the 23mm tires that came with the bike for 28mms, and she really liked the sense of solidity they gave. The only trouble is that I then noticed that the rear tire was rubbing at the fork, and so changed it back, leaving the thicker one on the front.

So I'm wondering whether we should (a) sell the Fuji and get (e.g.) a Surly Crosscheck or (b) change to 650 wheels to allow the fatter tires. Option (b) seems a little perverse, but she does like the Fuji a lot (though I expect she'd like ANY nice road bike, esp. it were a bit comfort oriented).

Any thoughts?
Yeah first I would try a 25mm and see if that fits, otherwise a crosscheck would be really nice, if you can afford it, it makes a nice birthday or anniversary gift ...... Don't forget Surly also sells just the frame, if your good at doing your own bike repair, then just get the frame, and move the parts over from the Fuji, and put the Fuji frame on fleabay.....

650 wheels will not work, it changes the geometry, handling, the standover height, and brake reach.

Personally I don't see why any maker makes a frame that can't take at least a 40mm tire, tire width is a function of gross vehicle weight of the bicycle, in other words a bike for a 200kg rider needs a wider tire then a bike for a 100kg rider which needs a wider tire then a bike for a 50kg rider, given the same tire pressure. So when they make super narrow frames, then those bikes are not clyde friendly, even thought the frame may be able to handle the load.

For you, it's an easy solution, just tell her, because she is so light weight, she can use the narrowest of tires