brians647
R.E.Member

Bikes: Cannondale, Kirk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
proper cable finishing

I came across this quote in an article by Bikesport Michigan where they compared Shimano's Dura Ace to Ultegra.

"Greater factors in shifting performance will be how precisely the derailleur cable housings were cut to length and had their ends finished, what type of cable housings and ferrules was used and the cable routing on the bike frame. The cleaner the cable routing and the more precise the assembly job, the better the shifting. These factors make more difference in shift quality than does the difference between Ultegra and Dura-Ace."

My question is, what is the best way to finish off a Dura Ace cable set?

My issues are inconsistent rear cog shifting. Sometimes I get clean upshifts, sometimes I need to upshift two clicks before it will jump up one gear, and suddenly it jumps up two.

My potential issues:
1) the cable end that goes into the derailleur has a metal end on it, but it's somewhat loose fitting and not crimped on - could that be it? (I have that tighter fitting plastic cap at all other cable-end junctions)

2) The plastic housing shrinks (or the inner wires are pulled clear) on the compressionless cabling - on both front and back sections.

3) Just thought of it, but could there be too much friction at the bottom bracket guide (no "ghost shifting" when under power, however).

The inconsistent shifting problem is driving me nuts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!