View Single Post
Old 05-26-08, 01:31 PM
ericgu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ken cummings
Our club had a problem yesterday. A group of cyclists with AIDS as a focus arrived at the ride start and did not sign the requested non-club-member waivers. The ride leader is expected to tell such people that as the roads are open we can not prevent them from riding near us but they are not "with" us. A lady in their group announced she had Aids (no problem with that) and had her helmet decorated with inflated condoms. A bit odd but this is California. At the coffee shop break she is said to have discussed her medical condition and said negative things about out club in a carrying voice clearly, to me, meant to be heard by non-cyclists withing earshot. The club has a long established policy of not getting involved in non-cycling activities. Club members and others who want the club to support various political and social issues that do not involve cycling are encouraged to follow their own and separate paths.
What now? Especially what if they show up again? I suggested that on rides with such a problem that club members quietly split from problem groups and go a different way. Even if we have to split into several different groups if they try to follow us. That, and try to find out who these people are and why they picked us.

Ideas will be passed on to our club forum.
I lead rides now and then for a Seattle club, but thankfully haven't run across this sort of thing yet.

The waivers are important for the club to have, and my guess is that club rules require you to have them. If you have people who show up who won't sign the waiver, then you can ask them to not join the ride. If they won't leave, then I think you need to cancel the ride. You may be able to have a standing club rule that says that you leave and then come back 30 minutes later if it happens again.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com