View Single Post
Old 05-27-08, 04:51 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Fribley
Well, another joins up.
About two-three weeks ago I was sitting on my couch watching TV, it was a beautiful day outside. I decided that I wanted to do something, so I figured I would ride a bike, which meant that I would have to buy a bike to ride. So i did what i always did when i was younger and went to Walmart looked around a bit, i had always heard that bikes from walmart were crap but i figured they meant the huffy/roadmaster's. I figured buying a $210 mongoose would be decent for the purpose's that i wanted it for. WRONG!!! terrible terrible idea. I got 30 minutes of riding in with 15 minutes of that putting the chain back on the gears, a noisy terrible ride and basicly just complete crap. Luckily i was able to get Walmart to take it back. I decided i wanted a decent bike and starting looking online as there is no LBS in my town. Did some research, (lurked around on here unregistered for a week or so) and decided that a Trek hybrid would be ideal for my purposes. Found a dealer in a town about an hour away and dropped close to $400 on a Trek 7100 Friday (about the max i could afford i really wanted the 7.2FX). I was busy all weekend with family and golf and yard work that i didnt get a chance to ride til today when i made about a 1.5 mile commute to work, and i loved it. Haveing a decent bike definitely makes it soo much more enjoyable then what i remembered of bike riding before. I was actually a little disappointed when i got to work that i couldnt keep riding. I plan on doing alot of riding and am even thinking about possibly dropping the insurance on my car for the next few months and going car free. This will hopefully help me lose a little weight as being 21 and 275 at 5'9" is a little heavy. I am really looking forward to getting into this.
If you enjoyed commuting on your bike, you might want to start using it for other errands as well; trips to get groceries, going to the barber, returning a book to the library, picking up a DVD, etc. It's a good way to build up your mileage and your confidence.

Oh, and welcome to Clydesdale/Athena!