View Single Post
Old 05-27-08, 07:39 AM
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Nice pictures guys. Sorry I didn't make it earlier. I had been getting over this "stomach flu" type thing from Thursday. Then there was the bike...

I got a new crankset for the tandem, along new bottom brackets and a Campy Comp Triple front derailleur. So I installed this stuff earlier on this weekend, but still needed to dial in the front shifting and new saddle positions. Easy enough, right????

Sunday Night...

So I tried for hours to get the front shifting to work properly, but it was just jacked! Chainline was good, just seemed like the spacing was off. The shifting worked fine the last ride... So I thought maybe it was the new FD, so I swapped the old on back... no dice, same results. At this point, I decided it was the shift lever. The new Veloce levers with the "escape mechanism" just did not have the right built-in spacing for this new crankset/chainline/etc...

So, I took the Chorus left side lever off of my CAAD8 and installed it on the tandem. However at this point I had loosened and tightened the cable bolt (on the FD) so many damn times, that half the strands decided to snap and fray up.

So, I cut it short of the FD... grabbed a short section of cable from my tool bag... I used a bolt/nut and two washers to clamp on the the end of the cable and make and "extension."

Chorus (and up) levers are the best! The micro adjust and lack of built in spacing makes for the easiest FD adjustment ever. Everything worked fine. At that point I PM'd Pete, that I'd probably be driving in, since it was now 4:51AM

Sleep... for 3 hours.

Then we woke up and dialed in our positions.. Done... I shifted the FD and snap... my little extension cable did not hold

OK... So we decided we couldn't make the ride . So would rest in bed a little longer, then pack up the bike and go to Bicycle Outfitter on the way to Hamilton to pick up a tandem length shift cable, and I would install it in the parking lot.

Rest.... Followed by shower... then getting ready.

So we head over to Bicycle Outfitter at one something. Bought the cable, strung it up, rode around the parking lot... Perfect! (I LOVE Chorus levers). Bike went back on the rack and we were off to Hamilton.

See next post for OUR ride report