View Single Post
Old 05-28-08, 07:13 PM
Thisisit
No dice

Bikes: Univega Arrowpace Fixed Gear Conversion, 2007 Specialized Allez Triple, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Zealand Tour/Bike Planning

Hi everyone,
In January 2009 I am going to be heading to New Zealand, Dunedin, South Island, for a semester abroad. After the semester, my professor is leading a tour around both islands via bus. And following that, mid-march, I plan to cycle around the North Island. I plan on doing a self-supported tour, camping as much as possible and hopefully using warmshowers when I get the chance. I've read a couple journals that seem really positive and have pointed me in the right direction for planning my route, but I have some questions about bikes.

4 years ago I started riding a fixed gear when I was living in California, I still do, and commute daily on it. Last summer I jumped into road riding and purchased a Specialized Allez triple. Specs can be seen here, http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...007&spid=21893
Right now, I am trying to decide what to do my touring on. In the next year or two, I want to upgrade road bikes, and so converting the Allez into a touring machine would be good. Positives would basically be that it has a triple, it would be nice to have a light, aggressive road bike for the time I am not touring, and that I already own it. It doesn't have rack mounts, and is uncomfortable on rides over 120kms. I would end up buying something like an Axiom rack that mounts without needing mounts, and a new stem/handlebar setup and possibly getting refitted for a more relaxed riding style.

I am interested in touring in the future, but don't have a lot of money to spend on a new bike, since I have to pay for the school part/flights to NZ. I have considered a surly crosscheck since I could possibly convert it to cyclocross/something else down the line and it seems more road oriented than the long haul trucker. All the positive feedback for anything Surly are pushing me in that direction, but money is a pretty serious issue since I already have to buy panniers and camping gear.

Do you think it would be feasible using my Allez? Or would it be better to maybe switch over my drive-train/any other usable components to a Cross-Check or similar frame.

Thanks for your help! And if anyone has any other feedback for touring NZ drop me a line.