Old 05-28-08, 08:10 PM
txtriguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Building first cross bike from "shop scraps" - retro or foolish?

Anyone tried this before?

So I got a smokin deal on a "nearly new" nashbar cross frame and fork and thought it would be fun to build "on the cheap" as a project. Most of the stuff I have is road although the brakes are mountain. I don't expect to race it (famous last words?) but do intend to ride it regularly. All parts are servicable and good quality stuff.

Some highlights: Shimano 105 9 speed front to rear, XTR brakes, Mavic Kyserium Elite wheels, Thompson zero setback seatpost, Bontranger cross handlebars (from a tandem - go figure). Pretty much all I had to buy so far are tires (35s) and tubes.

So am I set up for failure here? I'm moving to San Antonio this summer and expect to use it mostly for commuting and perhaps riding around the local park trails.

So how does cross compare to triathlon? I have raced tri short and long course for about 10 years. How long are cross courses and how many folks at the start line? Is there much contact between riders durng the race? I fear I will soon be trading my Stealth Kestrel Airfoil for that super sweet Specialized cross bike I saw yesterday!