View Single Post
Old 05-31-08, 07:06 AM
lebleup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do your tires drive the dogs crazy?

I've been riding in and around my neighborhood for years with a couple of bikes, one a road bike, the other a hybrid. Both have pretty smooth tire surfaces. But, I recently bought a Bianchi Axis which is a cross type bike. The tires are a little... I mean a little knobbyish. There is a definite difference in sound as I roll across the pavement. The very first time I took my new found joy out for a spin to try the hills I live near, and they are steep hills let me tell ya, I start out of my driveway onto the street. The street starts a gradual decline and then just dumps onto another street. I am rolling pretty good downhill when this Australian sheep dog, which has never ever bothered me before, comes racing towards me full steam snarling and barking with great anger. I thought my right leg was going to get knawed on. All I could do was kick it into the next gear, stand up and pump like there was no tomorrow. Man, this dog by passed my leg and went right for my rear tire. He was trying his best to bite the darned tire! I had no choice but to keep accelerating and I left him as I turned onto the next street going into a gradual uphill climb which turns into one heck of a climb. Looking back at the dog as he stood at the curb looking at me with the look of 'Go ahead! Come back around 'cause I got something for ya.', I decided I'd better go the long way around. What a work out! Well, it dawned on me why dogs chase after some folks and not others. Just yesterday I had a little long haired rat type looking dog (Papellion ?) come flying out of the house to get at me. Again, left it yippin' and yelpin' at me. Yes, it gave me that same look. Geesh! I guess I'll have to get me one of those high pitched sound generating devices to ward off viscious dogs. I sure ain't gonna change my tires.