View Single Post
Old 05-31-08, 12:37 PM
dannyg1 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I've got to say that there's a frustrating disconnect between real world pricing and what many BF members consider 'absolute' pricing. Clean Raleigh Wyoming's go on Ebay for $150-200 all the time. Alyeska's sell for far more, like this $473 sample just did:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Raleigh-Alyeska-...QQcmdZViewItem

Proclaiming an extraordinarily low price as 'law' ("$150-$200 max") and then having that unobtainable price confirmed by someone obviously pretty knowledgable, does a disservice not only to the OP, but to us all.

To be perfectly clear: Market price for a Raleigh Alyeska in fair condition is currently around $425.

What you got yours off that clueless old lady via Craig'slist is besides the point, so please don't even bother.

I've got to disagree on the Dia Compe cantilevers as well. They are very tough to set-up but once set-up well, they're admirable performers. Many people mistake the less than crisp feel (when the bike is at a standstill no less) to the action of brakes that have a high mechanical advantage for inadequate stopping power. This action is the key to controllable modulation and is exactly why the roundly, but baselessly, criticized Campagnolo Delta's have such a controversial duality in reputation. Both the Delta's and the DC Canti's take a big difference in cable pull between braking just a touch and full on lock. When you put a properly set-up version of either brake on a test platform, I'll bet that both can clamp as tightly (and better I'd bet) as any brake on the market: Past or present. True rim crumpling power is possible and available to either.

People that have read, and put into practice, Sheldon's guide on how to set up a brake know better. To one up that, they just actually know the difference between reality and the passing comments/prejudices of the under-informed .

Danny

Last edited by dannyg1; 05-31-08 at 12:58 PM.