radshark
Psycholist

Bikes: Devinci Amsterdam, Litespeed Teramo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
These are all nice bikes, but I get the feeling that the OP is looking at something more road- and speed-oriented.

I would definitely look at touring and cyclocross bikes. They're similar to road bikes and plenty fast, but allow for a lot more options (racks, fenders, wider tires), offer a more relaxed geometry. Or a sporty hybrid if you prefer the flat bar.

The flat bar vs. the drop bar doesn't necessarily make that much of a difference. The drop bar allows for more hand position and geometry variation (you can be more upright or tucked in depending on where you place your hands). However, braking and shifting is more cumbersome from some hand positions, and impossible from some others. Most people who ride bikes with drop bars spend most of the time "on the hoods" (meaning the brake hoods), and some find that braking is a little awkward from that possition because you can't firmly curl your fingers around the brake lever. Yet some people just say those other people need more practice, and using the brakes from the hoods is very easy. I couldn't say, because I mostly ride the tops and have secondary levers installed.
+1 - my first bike was a hybrid - I now have a hybrid and a road bike.

Flat bars are fine but if you think you might want to go longer distances your better off with the drops so you have more hand positions.

I've seen a few comments about tires and flats - my hybrid had 32s for the first 3500 km and were only replaced after I cut a tire on a piece of glass. I now have 1500 km on a set of 28's. I yet to have a flat.

Touring or cyclocross would be a first good pick.

Good luck!

-R.