Old 06-02-08, 01:49 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Folding bike for a NYC roadie?

I smacked myself upside the head this morning when I was on the forums here. I've been wanting to ride in to work from Brooklyn into Midtown Manhattan, but have been reluctant to even consider locking up any of my bikes,road or mtb, anywhere in Manhattan over the years, never mind my carbon fiber Kuota which never leaves my sight. I had never considered a folding bike because the one I rode over 20 years ago felt like a wet noodle and couldn't be taken seriously. It then occurred to me, everything else about cycling has changed, maybe folders had matured a bit.

Anyway, what would be recommended for a roadie in NYC as a compromise? I am looking for something that would go into a bag that could be carried into an office that otherwise won't allow a bike. I'm not expecting carbon fiber road performance, but something that can move would be a factor. NYC riding is mostly flat, but the bridge is a climb. Also take into account the less than stellar road conditions. Gearing, wheel size, portability, taking on a plane all go into the equation. I just checked on eBay at prices, but I'd probably buy local, they don't appear to be outrageously expensive, which was a surprise.

And I'm not jumping on the cycling bandwagon because of gas prices. I've been riding for a long time, and I commute on the subway anyway. The real impetus is watching the cyclists riding over the bridge from my train and wishing I could join them.

And of course, my wife will just roll her eyes "what do you need another bike for? You already have 4!"