Old 06-03-08, 07:27 AM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone! It's a good feeling, but I really can't wait to be rid of the 300's as a whole for good . That can't come soon enough!

Originally Posted by Caincando1
Keep at it, you'll be in the 200's before you know it.

BTW are you sick of buying new clothes yet....
Hah, YES!! Thankfully, though, I've learned to just deal with baggy clothes for the most part. Shirts are easier to deal with than pants, I've found, so I try not to go overboard on pants. My current "size" pant is a 48in waist, but the biggest pair I have that I can still wear is a 54 - they're just kind of.. MC Hammer-ish .

Originally Posted by Harry Stone
After I read your post, I emailed the local bike shop and asked about the size of the LHT they have built. It's too big for me, but then they said "We can get one from Surly in 2 days".

So it's all over now. I blame you, Ben.
LOL! But you WILL enjoy it, just take one word of advice from me. If you have pedals put on, either make sure you tighten them completely OR have the LBS do it for you. Just.. trust me on that one...

Originally Posted by smsimpson83
I want a long haul trucker so freaking bad.I think once i get under 300 the wife will let me, I'm at 330 now down from 360ish at my biggest, but I was 350 last July when I got married. (i finally got a scale that we registered for that went over 300). Any and all info you can give us about how you are liking the LHT and what you would change if you did it again would be helpful )
I love it, honestly. I've had a string of bad luck with it, also honestly, involving two busted spokes at the nipple due to what everyone thinks were just a couple bad spokes. Held it's true, however, for nearly 300 miles before that, and I think I agree with them as any spoke I've broken before has been at the hub, not the nipple.

Second, well, this was my dumb fault. I put some new BMX-style wide platform pedals on it and I forgot to finish tightening the non-drive side. Long story short, I ended up taking about a 2 mile walk back to work last night to pick up the car, and over lunch today will be going to the LBS to pick up a new crank arm My wife is THRILLED, let me tell you..

Anyway if I did it again, honestly, not much (if anything). I have a Brooks saddle on mine, along with fenders and a Superflash taillight. I'm going to get a rack eventually, or maybe just a handlebar bag. I am glad, and this may help you, that they didn't cut the stem on mine. I just raised it again last night to make it even with the seat and hopefully battle some hand numbness I've had. I also swapped the stock seatpost clamp with a Surly Constrictor, which effectively ended my sliding seatpost issues .

That's pretty much it. Oh, I would have sprayed it with Frame Saver before being built. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess, but I figure if it rusts out - that should be a badge of honor as I order a new frame .