Thread: Real Ale Ride
View Single Post
Old 06-03-08, 04:22 PM
zcd1976

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I thoroughly enjoyed the route...I rode the "80" mile lap and thought the roads were great (decent pavement conditions, little vehicular traffic), the scenery of such route was great, and the hills presented a decent challenge...I do have some suggestions for future Real Ale Rides:

a) have the start/finish area down by the river...i.e. at the park area by the dam just south (i think is the direction) of downtown Blanco. There is infinitely more and better shaded areas there. While I certainly appreciate Real Ale's opening up their grounds and facilities for such an event, having the start and finish area, particularly the finish (when it's 90+ degrees and dry), in a stagnant dustbowl = not so much fun.

b) no way on Earth should a start/finish line ever be on a glorified one-lane driveway, especially when there's vehicular traffic using the same driveway for ingress and egress of said facilities. Whether vehicular traffic SHOULD HAVE been using said driveway, I don't know...but I certainly didn't see any policing of such upon my finishing the ride wherein I (the bicyclist) had to yield way to a maroon Ford conversion van and two SUVs that were leaving via the front driveway because, after all, I forgot about that innate rule of the world that vehicular traffic ALWAYS has the right of way...even at a bicycling event.

c) for those that have never ridden a group ride before or are of limited group riding experience, whether it's a race or a free ride, please realize the event isn't "won" nor nearly finished by riding the first several miles like you're finishing a Tour stage. In the first 50 yards on said driveway, I had numerous individuals whizzing by me with reckless abandon. While riding the initial few miles (until we crossed the river on that bridge just south of town) with the lead-out front pack of the 80 milers, I witnessed multiple run-ins - before we got to downtown or just as we got to downtown (read: ~1-1.5 mile into the ride) two individuals banged into each other and I'm pretty sure I heard a few spokes bite it, I saw two guys wearing Beef & Pie jerseys d*mn near run over a girl shortly after we got through downtown, etc.

I realize this was the "first" Real Ale Ride, although the second year for such. That said, learn from it and move on. I think the route (at least the 80 miler...can't speak for the other distances) is great, as always I was and am indebted to all the volunteers (at the water/calorie stations, directing the riders, providing support, etc.), and I want to thank those who put this event together.

For those that thought the hills in Blanco were fun and want to step it up, show up for the das Hugel ride in Austin in November.

Last edited by zcd1976; 06-03-08 at 04:32 PM.