Thread: Slime
View Single Post
Old 10-19-04, 10:11 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Slime in road tires will not work. Once the tire pressure exceeds about 60psi the slime sealant will blow out of even the smallest of holes. On MTB it works great, but don't bother on road bikes. Also while this green slime is blowing out of your hole, it's making a slimy mess of the inside of your rim; and if that was not enough, the presta valves that Slime tubes use are pure trash.

I use to live for about 15 years in Goathead country (the Mojave desert area of California) and I tried Slime tubes and liners. For some reason the goatheads could sometimes penetrate a liner. The only thing I found that would survive repeated goathead attacks was the Specialize Armadillo tires.

There is a tube made by Specialize called the AirLock which has sealant and is suppose to be better then Slime, but I've never used it so I can't attest to it's abilities. But why bother with a sealant tube when the Armadillo tire works? And all I use for tubes in those tires is the Specialize Turbo 65grm tube with no liner.