Black Bud
One Tough Cookie.

Bikes: Too many and not ENOUGH!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fit24hrs
'm fairly sure the rotor is true. I didn't bump it on anything. There's a red dial on the caliper that looks like it needs a special tool to turn. Does that widen the pad contact?
A rotor can go out of true for a lot of reasons, not just a bad bump, and you may not have been aware of what you did to make it go out of true if this turns out to be the cause of your headaches. One of those reasons is an untrue wheel (for whatever reason, including damaged or broken spokes). That, in turn, damages the disc if that wheel is ridden long enough in that condition.

If you and me are thinking the same thing about the "red dial"? Yes, that red dial adjusts the pads. For the ball-bearing (mechanical) models, a special tool is not needed to operate it, just turn the dial. For the hydraulic Avids? I have never looked into whether a special tool is needed or not although I would suspect that the use of the adjuster would be the same at the caliper for hydraulics as well as the mechanicals, although checking the manual would be a good idea before you fool around with the red dial.

The link that you got earlier that was supposed to go to the SRAM manual for your brakes is no longer working. The current links page for the tech manual at SRAM (Avid) is :http://sram.com/en/service/avid/view...D=1&subcatID=1 .

The particular manual you need depends on the exact Juicy Ultimate model you have and the year your brakes were manufactured.

My discussion board, another resource for the "utility" and commuter cyclist: "Two Wheeled Commuter: The Everyday Cyclist"