View Single Post
Old 06-08-08, 07:51 PM
itzme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblehand
If I was you, I would get a 20"-wheel bike instead of a 16" wheel. There are more tires available and, IMO, they handle and ride better. I use a 16" wheel bike for multimode commuting and travel. Anything else, I use the 20" wheel folder.

If you want something from a dealer -- there is probably a local Dahon dealer -- then going by the prices at BikeFold I would go with something like this. If you look around, you can get better prices than that.

Otherwise, I would go with a Downtube if you are intested in becoming a little handy with bikes. Regular maintenance is really straightforward. Most areas have short courses on bike maintenance.

I went to a bike store to check out their selection of folding bikes, and the guy that assisted me said the same thing. He said 16" wheels can't produce a ride as smooth as a 20", and it's more difficult to handle. They only carried foldable bikes from Dahon. I was able to check out the 2007 D3, and 2007 Speed. The D3 was $460, and the Speed was $450. The Speed has a steel frame, so it is quite heavy. He told me he can order the 2007 Vitesse for $450, which has similar specs of the Speed, but with an aluminum frame. The retail of the Vitesse is higher too, so I'm guessing it's the best deal of the 3? On the other hand, the Vitesse only comes in a baby blue, so I don't think it would be suitable for him. Yet, that may be the leading nominee for me Anyone has thoughts on the Vitesse?