View Single Post
Old 06-09-08, 08:21 PM
puppypilgrim

Bikes: Brodie Force w/ Xtracycle, Dahon Helios, Merida Folding, Pacific Carryme, Softride Classic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just thought I would keep adding to the thread and use it to document my build and mods.

When I got the kit, I improvised a bike stand for assembly using a music stand and two cinder blocks. It worked well enough.

Next was an exciting moment once everything was bolted together before putting on the chain. Mockups with the basket carrier. Note the long wheelbase which makes for a pleasant and surprisingly stable ride. It also smooths out the bumps on the bike.

I added Zefal Toe cups aka strapless toe clips. These allow me to pull up on the pedals and it also means my feet don't bounce when I am exerting climbing force on the pedals. With the long wheelbase and cruiser bars, standing up out of the saddle isn't comfortable if you are carrying passengers or a lot of cargo. The bike wiggles a lot if you stand on the pedals when carrying passengers or cargo. I only stand on pedals if I am alone on the bike with no cargo. The way to climb is to shift into an appropriate gear, sit in the saddle and pedal! The Zefal toe cups are cheap, work well and allow me to shift my foot for comfort while detaching quickly when I come to stops (especially important when carrying passengers and heavy cargo!)