Old 06-11-08, 11:45 AM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gilda
hello. i'm new to this crazy new york city (well, relatively). i've recently moved and gotten a great new internship, and i want to get a bike to get to work and also to school.

i don't need some hardcore bicycle, just one that will take me on mostly short distances. i think my longest possible distance that i might travel would be from union square to times square.

i would like a folding bicycle that has at least 3 different speed options (because i'm not the fittest of people).

my biggest worry is size, weight and price.
+ i have one of those super puny city apartments, which is why i'm looking for a folding bicycle, and hopefully one that will fold up to fit in my pocket. or a small nook.
+ weight, because my school bag is usually really heavy and i am not the strongest of people to carry a heavy bike at the same time.
+ price-wise, as a student, i don't have a lot to spare. but if this might save me on all that metro cards each month, i guess it will be an investment.

i haven't owned a bike in years and really never serviced one before. all i know how to do is to pump air in tires so i really can't deal with anything that's very complicated. i read through some of the threads in this forum but honestly got so confused, which is why i thought i'd post a thread of my own and hopefully someone will be nice enough to offer some advice?

i saw a bike called mobiky that was really expensive (to me) but it seems to fold really small and i'm wondering if i should starve myself for a couple of months to buy it. does anyone know if this might be a good option for me? or if someone could suggest some similar options, i would really appreciate it.

thank you!!

Originally Posted by gilda
thanks guys!! i think i have decided on the dahon. i'm growing to like it
the strida looks like cool but trueno92 is right... i absolutely cannot deal with it if anything wrong happens! i'm lucky i know where a bike's pedal is.

thank you for all your help!! now i'm just going to go around to different bike shops and see if anyone has a good deal. heh heh.
Gilda,

I have 3 different folders-2 Dahons and 1 Brompton. Since you live in NYC, I recommend BFold as that shop is the type of shop that not only knows folders, but takes the time to match the right folder for you. That is the most critical part of bike selection, rather than just focusing on price. I know where you are coming from as my own finances are quite limited right now, but I have and will continue to purchase my folders for many years of service & pleasure I expect to get out of them, not just a impulse buy or just a few months use-they are like a investment of sorts. To see what a 20 inch and a 16 inch Dahons are like, see my Web sites listed below: