Old 06-11-08, 01:12 PM
makeinu
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSpalding
Anyone who has ever handled a folded Mobiky wouldn't say so. The shortened wheelbase makes it much easier to handle.
All I can say is that wasn't my impression when I wheeled it around the store.

Originally Posted by somnatash
I admit, I haven't tried a Carryme and it really looks handy from the pictures. You make me curious to try one.
A rolled brompton with a luggage block and the handlebar in "position up" can be USED as a shopping trolley or as a luggage trolley while travelling. (This is only true for a brompton with rear rack and easy rollers and the man in the train station carries a brompton without rack.) If one does not need the bike as a trolley but just want to roll the bike one can better fold it almost completely with only the seat-stem up to the most convenient hight (which goes straight up and hence not makes the "footprint" bigger). The footprint of the brompton then is about (wiki): 54,5 cm x 25 cm (21.5" x 9.8"). Pacific-cycles says for the Carryme: 30cm x 27cm. So the brompton is bigger but 5 times?
If you put the handlebars down and the seat post up to push it along then when you pick it up it falls apart because the seat post is not there to lock the fold.

All I'm saying is that if I were going to the mall (in and out of stores and up and down stairs) then I would take a Carryme, or a Strida, or a Tikit over a Brompton. Neither the handlebar solution nor the seat post solution for pushing along a folded Brompton is ideal in the typical sort of hall/stairs/hall/stairs scenarios encountered in malls, school campuses, etc.

But you make a good point and I will concede that the Brompton is probably better than the Dahons/Downtubes in terms of rolling.

Originally Posted by Clownbike
The Birdy also has the ability to roll while partially folded and also stands on it's own at rest with the Expedition Rack when wheels are added.
Would you "wheel it around in school, malls etc" as the OP noted?