View Single Post
Old 06-12-08, 04:14 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
The height of the handlebars is generally measured as the vertical distance from the top of the bars (where the stem connects) to the top of the saddle. You measure that by putting your bike on a level surface, held upright (leaning upright against a wall, for instance). You measure down to the ground from the top of the handlebars, and do the same from the top of the saddle. Difference is called "drop".

Most road bikes, for recreational riders have a drop of 0 (i.e. even) to 2-3 inches. Racers have more of a drop.

But that's just one factor, and they're all part of a puzzle.

The factors are:

Position of saddle over pedal spindle.
Height of Saddle
Length of stem
height of handlebars
Position of handlebars and shifters.

Way too much to just talk about without body measurements and you trying the bike and adjusting it. That's why it's best if you find a competent shop and have them do a fitting. It is usually done by the shop that sells you a new bike, as part of the purchase. If your shop adjusted your saddle height and called it "fitting", you should go back and talk to them and explain your problem.

If you don't think your shop is worth while, call around and find a shop that sounds like they're competent. Fitting can cost from $45 to $200 depending on how involved it is. I had a local shop put me and my bike on a trainer and take a look at the factors I listed above, and they put on a "fitting stem" which could be adjusted in length and height. They changed length and height within what's commonly available, and I definitely felt a "sweet spot". They normally charged about $50 for that, but did it gratis because I bought a new stem, new seat post and some other parts I needed.

To get yourself started though, take a look at competativecyclist. com and wrenchscience.com. They have online fitting programs that can give you an idea of how this all goes together. You need to take some very specific and accurate body measurements thought, might need assistance.