Old 06-13-08, 05:47 PM
Sapatac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike buying advice? "hybrid" or "comfort"

Hi, I'm hoping to get some educated opinions to help me choose a bike to buy. I'm in my mid-40s, 6'1", 180 lbs, and hadn't ridden in about 30 years when I decided to get a bike for some exercise. I bought a second-hand Trek 820 and love to ride it, but I've come to realize that it's too small for me (17.5" frame, my inseam is 34") and much heavier than I would like (stell frame -- I guess I need aluminum).

It is somewhat hilly in the part of Baltimore City where my wife and I live, and I mostly ride on pavement though it is rough and features plenty of potholes and speed-bumps.

I'm trying to make up my mind between getting a hybrid and getting a comfort bike. I'd like to spend less than $400 if possible, and in the Trek line that means the 7000 hybrid versus the Navigator 2.0 comfort. Of course there are plenty of other manufacturers; I'm just not familiar with them.

I want a bike that is very light-weight, easy to ride, well built (I'm pleased with my 820's quality), stable, and reasonably comfortable. I want to work a little when I ride, certainly, but I ride just as much for running errands as I do for pure exercise.

Any comments regarding pros and cons of hybrid bikes versus comfort bikes greatly appreciated! Any recommendations of specific makes and models also greatly helpful!

Thank you all in advance.

-Max