Old 06-15-08, 11:21 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I know it's 20-20 hindsight at this point but generally with threaded fixtures if you find you have to force it then there's something wrong. When you thread in a screw it's rare that it won't turn in by hand or at most with two fingers twirling the allen wrench shaft. For next time if you find there's significant resistance from the get go then stop, back the screw out and try again. Don't force it at all.

Now the exception to this is if theres paint or powder coating in the threads. If that's the case it's not uncommon to feel some drag on the screw. But as you turn it in the drag should tend to lessen as you wear away the paint rather than build to a higher level after the first turn.

As I said, offered for the next time.

As for repairing this one it depends on how far you jammed the screw in before realizing that it wasn't right. Did you run the screw in 5 or 6 turns or did it go less than 2 or 3 turns and then jam up? If the last then at least we can say that the repair is not only possible but should work quite well. The repair being more of a patch in that running a tap in there will reform the good threads slight but it'll cut away some of the bruised metal leaving that brazeon slightly weaker than before. When you put screws into that one do not tighten it up as much as the other side. I'd suggest only two fingers on the allen key and keep them fairly close to the bend. Get it so the screw head contacts the rack and is starting to feel fairly firm. Then another 1/3 to 1/2 turn only while feeling for a big increase in torque needed. In this case pinch it tight rather than reefing on it. By only using two fingers and not turning it so tight that you feel pain in your fingers from the pressure and do not leave any temporary grooves from the pressure you'll be giving it a torque value it'll withstand.

Another option would be to start a screw into the threads in the original track and mash the cross threading back into place. That can often work as well but obviously it requires a sharp eye to see if the screw is starting into the hole straight instead of following the new cross threads. You may or may not want to try this.

If you do and it starts there will be a fair degree of resistance initially as you turn the screw in. But instead of getting worse like with a cross threading it should stay the same for a few turns and then ease off on the pressure.

All of this is based on a feel sort of thing. I've tried to put it into words but it's more a skill you get from doing. And with your new toy I wouldn't blame you if you just said "I'll wait thankyouverymuch".