View Single Post
Old 06-17-08, 11:01 AM
Blais
Bruise collector

Bikes: Gary Fisher Mullet, Centurian Le Mans, a stripped Schwin, some random frames and parts.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tandem/tall/chopper/thing

Built this thing a few days ago. That's my roommate, Mark, standing next to it to show size comparison, he's about 6' 2" tall. The first set of forks I put on it were from this bike:

After several successful rides with the first fork both solo and tandem, it was deemed 'semi-safe'. Later that night, after several beers and lots of whiskey, I decided to go for a spin. At the end of my driveway, the fork snapped just past the head tube and I went down hard resulting in this:

I managed to bite through my top lip, loosen a tooth, get road-rash everywhere including the INSIDE of my bottom lip, break my nose, and knock myself totally unconscious for several minutes. Upon waking in a pool of blood and then refusing an ambulance ride to the hospital, I drank a little bit more and vowed I would build better (and longer) forks. Here is a better shot of the result:

These new forks are much stronger and cooler looking but still not complete. You can see the old broken fork in the rear, it's A LOT shorter than the new one. I think I'm going to lay another set of long forks over the top and running them up to a custom stem. Those babies will NOT break! The bike rides great and is actually really easy once you take off. My friend, Topgun and I figured out that if you sit on the rear seat and hold the front handlebars to start off, you can climb up and over to the front position during a coast, eliminating the need to find a place to lean against! Next thing is to figure out how to mount the rear position while the bike is already in motion. Anyway, hope you enjoy it!

P.S. I named it 'Face-Plant'