View Single Post
Old 06-17-08, 08:10 PM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I would hate to see just how rough the roads are you are taking. I ride 32H OpenPro with 14/15 spokes laced in a 3X pattern on front and rear with 700c25 tires on my road bike. I ride dirt roads quite frequently with some very corrigated surfaces that put quite a stress on the wheels and I have no problems with my spokes loosening up. I build my wheels and use spoke prep and/or linseed oil depending on my mood. If you have a good wheel builder in your town take the wheel to them and ask them to look at the wheels after you do your normal tune...it may cost you but it would be worth it.
I also have 36H 4X 14/15 DB DT Swiss Spokes on OpenPro rims for my Cross bike. I am not very gentle with this bike and ride very rough roads with Conti Contact 700c28s, off road with Twister 700c32s, and have a set of 700c34s wth studs for winter riding in the snow. The wheels are still round and strong. I used Linseed oil on these. Something is going on with your build and some advice from a good wheel builder might really help correct the problem. When I first started building wheels I had some good builders straighten out my process of building and have had no problems since. Good luck.

As noted above the problem is in all likely hood you aren't stress relieving the build as you go.