View Single Post
Old 06-18-08, 03:18 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I asked this question in April, 2007. I was unable to find concrete answers, eventually opted for a Mini, and have been pleased with the decision. The following is a combination of fact, heresay, opinion, and speculation:

The Curve --which I have not ridden, nor even seen-- offered a number of attractive features that the Mini lacked, namely:
--Better tires (Schwalbe Big Apples)
--Pump built into the seatpost
--Magnetic clippies to hold the frame together
--Fenders
--Rack
But in practice I've heard the rack is so useless that it is no longer included; the fenders are no longer included; the magnetic clippies are unreliable; and the pump has problems as well. Can't beat the tires, though!

The Mini, in contrast, has a couple advantages over the Curve:

--It has real rear suspension, which cannot be retrofitted to the Curve.
--It has a better hub, which would be a major expense to retrofit one to the Curve.

Whether rear suspension is a significant improvement --or any improvement at all-- is a matter of opinion. I have modified mine by the Jur method (there's a thread on that) and now I like it just fine, but it did not effect my decision last year, and were I to do it again, it still wouldn't. The 8-speed hub, however, is a major improvement over the 3-speed.

The crucial question is: which frame is better? Which rides better? Which is stronger? And I don't know the answer; I'd love to hear from someone who has really compared the two. I have heard that owing to the frame design you cannot fit a larger chain ring to the Curve, which effectively limits the gearing; the Mini does not have this limitation.

Bottom line? I don't know! But....

If there's anyone with a Curve, either model, who would like to get together with me for a ride in Central Park NYC, I'd be interested in doing an overall comparison between that and the Mini. I'll bring my Mini, you bring your Curve, and we'll go for a ride. Trade bikes for a while, try the hills, try the flats, try keeping up with the roadies... and see what gives. Anyone?
I have never ridden the Curve. But one can get a front mount bag -- on the head tube -- which is a real bonus on the Merc/Brompton. I suspect that it works well with the Curve too.

I don't recall negative statements regarding the rear rack. But then again, I was not looking. I recall that someone got a top mounted rack on the rear and could fold the bike as is.

I think that the Mini is a great machine except that it isn't particularly good at carrying stuff since most mounted racks would interfere with the fold. You can get a nashbar front rack with the 15-pound capacity on the front fork and fold the bike.

I went with the Mini for the 8 speed hub.