View Single Post
Old 06-21-08, 12:19 PM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gavush
... - skiffrun, thanks for mentioning veloroutes... had not seen that one yet. The tools aren't as nice as mapmyride but the elevation difference is cool... it says this loop has 2856 ft. ( http://veloroutes.org/bikemaps/?route=14512 ) - ... on white bluff road ...
Aah, that "White Bluff" route I saw on the "recent routes list" (when I went to check on the route I did this am) must be yours, then.

"Veloroutes" prob doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of some of the other sites, but it is free, the hobby of the guy who created it, and it does not mess up my computer or mess itself up by turning the "navigate south" button into a useless <bleep> thing, which that <bleep> "mapmyride" always does.

Oh, yeah, the elevation(s) and gain on "veloroutes" are based on the local / state DOT data. I find that, compared to GPS feedback, the veloroutes elevation "climbed" will likely be 5 to 10 % understated. The DOT does not get EVERY local minimum and EVERY local maximum elevation. I am familiar with one spot on a route I ride occasionally where one cannot see the next road / turn only 150+ yards from where one turns onto the state highway because there is a 10-15 foot "bump" in that 150+ yards; yet NCDOT data (the source for veloroutes) indicates FLAT.

But I figure the elevation profiles from all sources are really best thought of as indicative of the geography one will encounter on the route. If one wants great detail, get your own GPS.

Last edited by skiffrun; 06-21-08 at 12:30 PM.