Old 06-22-08, 06:52 PM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
So how fast do you think you were going when you entered the creek? And were there any witnesses, even after the crash?
Slow enough to not go over the bars and not fast enough to make it through. No witnesses. Question: If nobody sees the fall or hears the groans after, did a fall really happen?

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
You are right, this is a big bike. A 21.5" MTB is the largest size many companies make, and is equivalent to a road bike of at least 62-63cm. Usually this size is recommended for people with inseams of 35-36" or longer. Although the significant measurement is the top tube. The 21.5" Felt has an effective top tube of 613mm, which is very long. I get stretched out once I get much over 570.
My mistake, it is a large frame which is 19.5". That makes a lot more sense for 6'1" even with longish legs. The bike rides a lot bigger than the 19" Rockhopper 29'er that I tried out so I guess I conclusion jumped that it was a 21.5

Originally Posted by stapfam
Creek and ditch crossings require a little bit of forethought. Sit back in the saddle and lift the front wheel- and pedal like mad. A light front wheel will not stick in the soft mud and the pedal like mad is to get the rear wheel through.

And I am sorry- A mountain bike is not a mountain bike untill it has a few scratches on it. I was always worried about a new MTB until I had taken it to its limits- or mine- and then scraped it along the trail. Teaches you to fall properly and if you do that often enough- you become expert at it.
Son Chris had the same advice on creek crossing. He also recommended staying out of the clips for the next few times out. What do you think? About falling expertise - if practice makes perfect and the future resembles the past, I expect to soon be showing improvement.

Originally Posted by Beverly
Love the bike!

It doesn't have any mud on it. Did you wash it off in the creek
Sure did.

Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Ooooo... that's real purty, T'man... but falling over in the creek? And you couldn't unclip? Tsk.
But bug props for the boyish enthusiam

I like Felts.
I think I will like this one. Went for a little neighborhood dial in spin this afternoon, and it rides a lot quieter now. So far, I even like the saddle.