View Single Post
Old 10-26-04, 09:16 PM
Dchiefransom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by N_C
Dchief, I'm having a hard time agreeing with your comment about mirrors covering blind spots. First of all there is no indication as to what kind of tractor it was. From the sounds of it though it was a large one, especially if it was towing large grain trailers. Have you ever seen the size of these units? They can get very large. If the tractor is the type that I think it is, it is a newer style with all of the required safety equipment on it, including mirrors. That required equipment was installed by the manufacturer in accordance with federal regulations.

I'm going to assume you drive a motor vehicle of some type on a regular basis. You're aware of course there are certain blind spots that are not covered by a mirror where you have to turn to look over your shoulder to see if something is there. Well farm tractors are the same way.

Right now there are not enough details as to what happened. So it is to early to lay the blame on anyone. The farmer may have been driving the tractor in a very safe & responsible manner. I have yet to see a farmer that operates one dangerously.

People here in the midwest know it is the harvest season & a lot of tractors are out on the rural roads. Other road users know this & there are safety campaigns launched every year before the harvest, etc. Not to mention several commercials regarding safe road usage by everyone. But accidents still happen.

And before any of you start saying tractors should be banned from the roads, DON'T. Farming, particuarly crop farming here in Iowa is a very, very large part of our economy. You know that delicious beef or pork you may have had for or part of a meal this past week? Well guess what? More then likely the cow or pig that it came from was probably fed by corn or beans that came from an Iowa farm field. Farming is what helps keep both my wife & I employed as well as hundreds of thousands of other Iowans. So please do not start by saying farm equipment should be banned from road ways.

While the cyclists death is tragic & unfortunate & my heart goes out to his family. His death will not have been in vain. I am going to do what ever I can with the resources I have to help make sure this does not happen again.
I'm glad you referenced MY vehicle's blind spots, because, whether I see someone in them or not, I'm still responsible for safe operation of my vehicle on the road. From what I've seen, I have to be responsible, but drivers of large trucks and equipment on the roads are not. That's what I'm seeing inferred in this article, and in some posts.
I drive one of the van sized mail trucks for the USPS delivering my route, and it has 7 mirrors.

Last edited by Dchiefransom; 10-26-04 at 09:23 PM.