View Single Post
Old 06-26-08, 01:56 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I don't feel overly bad about this bike. I have no history with it. The person who had the history beat the crap out of it. It is all scratched up, it has multiple bumper stickers adorning the frame, the shock fork is nearly shot ... it bottoms out on potholes. But it still rides fine. I use it as a 4-speed. Always leave it in the middle front ring and I use gears 3-6 (out of 7) on the rear.

But I do plan to continue to clean it up a bit and ride it now and then. If the cables or chain rusts too badly, then I'll unlock it and leave a "Free for the taking" sign on it. I keep it locked, but I'm not sure I need to. I doubt anyone would bother to steal it even if it were unlocked.
Mine sounds similar. Lots of scratches. ALL the cable ends splayed out etc.
The shifters didn't work. Front was revived with a couple soakingd with WD40, PO tried to "repair" the front, so it was replaced with a friction shifter from a RoadMaster.
I found it on CL. Contacted the guy and he was just potting it in his truck to haul to Goodwill. Since I lived on his way there, I got free delivery and he got $20, sight unseen.
It had a Free Hub, so that's now on my "Hopper.
I actually took it out last night and rode 12 BLOCKS, because I was feeling so guilty! I also remembered I have to do something about those brakes