Old 06-26-08, 02:05 PM
madcalicojack

Bikes: Fuji Cross Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsmithepa
Unless of course, on your resume, u had a good sting with NASA Ames, or spent last summer with Bert Rutan at Scaled Composites.

Scaled Composites, NOW, that's a company I'd like to spend time with. Why set you sight so low with a bike company? SC was hiring a while back.
No kidding. I think Scaled is the brass ring for just about every aerospace engineer. Scaled is the kind of small company I mentioned though. They have big projects but they are a small company. They do not hire interns, or any engineer without considerable experience. They just can't afford to be a place where engineers cut their teeth.

Even if you work for free, you aren't free to the company. They have to provide you a workstation, and you will undoubtedly keep their staff engineers distracted with lots of questions. So you have to have something to bring to the table. If you have good grades and some experience with company X's software, you have a shot. The only thing to do is inventory your skills, write a resume, and then get on the phone. Unless the company is actively seeking interns, emails will be instantly deleted. Keep in mind that non-bike companies may be a more realistic place to start. Uber-huge companies can afford to train interns in order to groom and select top engineering talent.