View Single Post
Old 06-26-08, 04:46 PM
RoadRanger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juggler2
One of my favorite setups. How is the front basket working out? I'm thinking of adding one to my bike. Looks like you may actually be able to carry more in it than the rear baskets.
I only installed the front basket yesterday. It is just big enough to hold a 12 pack of Bounty paper towels and yes, it has about the same capacity as both the rear baskets combined (it is freakin' huge!). I had that up front and 10 frozen dinners and 6 2-liter soda bottles out back yesterday. The front basket isn't mounted off the handlebars - there was a small u-bracket holding a reflector off the front fork fender bolt and I used that. It's way over-strong for its original purpose of holding the reflector but I don't know how it's gonna hold up to a real load up front? If it bends I'll fabricate something stronger. I was going to clamp the basket to the stem somehow as I wanted it as low as possible (it is 1/2" over my fender now) and my handlebars are too high to easily tie into, but this seems to be working. It looks much cleaner than the "stock" mounting hardware but I don't know if I will have a problem with side-to-side sway when I load it up. I think I can fit 50lbs (12 2-liter bottles) of soda bottles in it so might try that next. That should be good max test-load anyways. My back basket assembly is touching the top of the fender presently so I might end up raising it a bit. I made the mistake of cutting off the ends of the support arms before I was sure it was going to stay where I first put it. I had to move it back as I was getting "heel strike". Oh, and the front basket required me to change out the "quick release" axle for a solid one, which I wanted to do for security anyways - got rid of the seatpost QR at the same time. I'm hoping I can load up the rear baskets and sling a 50lb bag of dog food across the top without bending it - about 80 lbs in the rear and 40 up front total capacity? Woo Hoo!