10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by rektrader
I know: Everybody's butt is going to hurt sometimes on a road bike, but it has been uncanny how after 40 miles, sometimes 50, even trying to vary my riding position, my butt just starts to really hurt. If I get off the bike and take a break, then I am good for another 30 minutes or so when it starts again. So far, I am not otherwise sidelined. That is, I am ready to go again after a day off, but I'd really like to solve this problem if it's possible. The heart, lungs, and legs say go and the butt says oh no!

I am 52 and began riding again last year after many sedentary years. I am in reasonable shape. I am riding a Trek Madone, which this issue aside, I find comfortable. I have heard people say they don't like the stock Bontrager seat, but I don't want to change this unless it really would make a difference.

Saddle recommendations? Do I need better bike shorts?

Thanks!
Shift to a high gear and stand up and pedal. Increases blood flow in your back, legs and butt.
I am 66 y/o rode 92 miles today in 91* sunshine. Total 327 miles so far. One more day to ride.