View Single Post
Old 06-28-08, 07:13 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have repaired a tear in the fabric of a Chariot trailer. Fairly easy, unless you want to make it really invisible. The worst part is that you'll have to practise sewing with your arms in really awkward positions.

Since it is torn right on the rail, I suspect that you may get some loose fabric by partly folding the trailer. I would recommend getting some kind of patching fabric from a sports store: either a patch for panniers (MEC used to sell some), for old heavyweight tents, or, if you can't find anything, buy a set of really cheap panniers. Sew the patch inside the trailer and also sew around the tear.

For the screen, black upholstery tread does great repairs... unless it's torn all the way, in which case you might be better with a new screen.

As for the plastic cover, I don't have a truly satisfying solution. I have done a few makeshift repairs that didn't look too bad by applying self-stick transparent Mactac on both sides of the plastic cover. It worked fine, was rainproof, but wasn't perfectly transparent, so it works better if it is not a wide patch right into the main field of vision.

Someone also suggested a transparent glue by Locktite, but I never tried it.