Old 06-29-08, 05:45 PM
Suzie Green
Cycler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm floating away

In an attempt to save my aging knees, I (just today) changed my cleats over to a floating version. I've not had any serious joint problems, but the occasional twinge in my right knee made me take a look at these cleats. I'm currently riding Look Keo pedals and, needing new cleats because one was cracked, I purchased the red ones which have some float built into them. It's my first experience with them. I went out today for a casual 20 miles. The jury is still out...they felt a bit weird at first, and I was not sure I liked the movable feel to them. After 10 miles or so, I seemed to be able to ignore the fact that they were different. All went pretty well. I guess it will take several rides to adjust to the feel. It does take a more agressive "snap" to unclip, and that kind of startled me as I pedaled up to my garage door.

Anyone else gone through this and how did you feel with the transition to a floating cleat? After 30 years of riding with a fixed position, I find it just a bit strange.