View Single Post
Old 06-30-08, 10:24 AM
natbla

Bikes: 2011 Chinese Carbon Road, 2012 Giant Talon 1 29er, 2018 Mongoose Salvo Supa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saturday's 67 mile ride w/ photos

As a prep for my Century ride next weekend, I planned out a 67.5 mile route with ~7800 feet of climbing. IT was an excellent Saturday morning ride. I set off on my own at 6:00 AM, and after a brief stop at Sheetz for a couple items snapped this picture before heading down the road

My route took me along a well used road (MD rte. 36) for ~ 20 miles in a generally downhill manner. I did take two alternate routes along the way to minimize car interaction and improve the scenery. I kept to a ritual of drinking every 15 minutes, and eating every hour. After about an hour I turned up into the Savage river Valley. About a mile up that road I passed this:

the road climbed along the Savage river for a good ways before heading off around the Savage River reseviour.

This picture is typical of the type of road I was on most of the ride.

Here are a couple pictures of the scenery along the way too.

This last picture is taken just after I had endured a 20 minute long heavy rain storm. I'm about to embark down into and then back out of that valley and through those hills to cover the last 10 -12 miles of the ride.

Overall it was a great ride, and I can't wait to ride my full century this coming weekend. I'll be adding a couple energy shots/gels to my nutrition for use in the last 30 miles. At the end of my ride my legs were tired, but I would have been able to keep going if need be. I think I"ll make sure I stay on my drinking and eating routine as it worked for me. When I got home I spent the day doing chores around the house, and working in the yard. I wasn't fresh by any stretch but I didn't need to take a nap either.