Old 06-30-08, 08:27 PM
lubers

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Cannondale ST400, Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper
First of all, I am glad that I found this part of the forum, even though I am at the bottom of the Clyde scale at 5'9", 202 pounds, I feel more comfortable talking to you guys then the rail skinny people. So, my question here is are any of you participating in things like century rides or anything like that. I have always done "sprinter" type sports (football,wrestling, track) when I was younger, just because that was what my stocky body type seem to dictate. Now, I want to try and do more endurance type riding because I think that I would enjoy it more then getting into things like racing at this point in my like. So for those doing the distance riding, what issues have you had, or what kind of preparations did you have to do?
I just finished a six day ride last week, we averaged about 65 miles per day, I usually have about six to seven hundred miles before I go on a tour but this year I only had about three hundred. First three days were hard with the second day being seventy five miles of one hill after another and into a ten to fifteen mile an hour wind. The rest of the week was with the wind and was great. I go 6'2 and now at 265 down from 286 before I started riding again this year. I have done a couple of centuries last year and I am planing to do one again next month for a local charity ride. I think the most improtant thing about distance riding is finding a saddle that will take your butt all the way without hurting. I had the good fortune of testing out the Brooks and found it to be just fine on the tour. I would recommend Brooks to anyone for a long distance ride, I also have the Titanico LD which I let another person use on the ride, he stated it was the first time he went on tour and did not have a sore butt, and now he won't give it back. I have since ordered another one (which he paid for) and it will go back on my touring bike. The Brooks will go on my every day commuter.

Trek 930
1988 Cannondale ST400