View Single Post
Old 07-01-08, 09:40 AM
poconogeorge
smittty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that pre-planning having my family and friends know my route and schedule is a must, along with my maps and compass. I am in my 40s now and tend to be much more cautious in my old age. When I was in my 20s and 30s I've broken my arm in the woods and have been lost in the Adirondacks and Catskills, I have also gone over a gaurd rail at 30-35mph and down a 500 ft revine in the Gunks along with slipping of trail I hit a tree and got a two inch gash in my scalp (which blead like a bit#$) and at this age I don't feel unbreakable anymore. Eventhough I don't have the best skill sets I know me and I will try something above my level and I will most certainly deviate from my plan. I am going to call the park rangers in my region and get some advice as well as checking some of these neat gadgets out. Thanks much.

Originally Posted by Doug5150
The only satellite phone I've seen cost several thousand dollars (just a couple years ago) and using it cost twelve dollars a minute. The person said it was an Iridium phone, but I don't remember what kind--it had a antenna that folded out of the phone's own little briefcase.

And anyone in mountain country with Sirius or XM radio in their car will tell you that they often can't get a signal while in deep valleys.

Those only transmit a signal that will reach for a few dozen yards at best.

-------

How about just pre-planning your route and then informing someone else or two, so they know to act if you don't return on schedule?...
~

Last edited by poconogeorge; 07-01-08 at 10:31 AM.