Old 07-01-08, 11:36 AM
climbhoser

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heyduke
Uh oh. Sounds like an argument for 2 sets of wheels. I just bought a pair of beater wheels from bicycle wheel warehouse for less than $100 shipped to the Springs. Two new good tires will cost near that. Just a thought.

I don't believe there is a perfect all purpose tire for Colorado winters - some snow, some ice, some dry days, some mud days...
Oh, don't give me that

Seriously...I'm not gonna do it. Last winter I did it all on Panaracer Urban Max tires in a 700cx32. They worked, but weren't ideal, obviously. Where were they not great? Snowiness. I rode my MTB a few days and they destroyed the snow with their knobbies.

I have another 'cross/roadie built up and that's my fair weather bike for group rides, 'cross races and sunny commuting.

My X-check will be a purpose built SS for incliment road conditions only. Knobbies will take care of it. We don't get enough ice for me to worry about it. Dry snow is pretty cake, too. Mud, nah, I don't see it. Packed snow and slushiness is what I get most.

I'm thinking of the Ritchey Speedmax, actually, for the asphalt-ability. Seems like a harder compount than the ExcaVader, which will wear longer but still give me purchase in the crapola.

Anyone have any other ideaS?