View Single Post
Old 07-01-08, 07:25 PM
Blue Order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HSean
Sounds good, I thibk i'll do that, where would I aquier that paint? and frame saver
You can get framesaver at a good bike shop.

Paint depends. You have several options.

One is to have it powdercoated. That's a good, durable, inexpensive way to coat a frame. It's not paint, just a plastic coating that is applied at a powdercoating shop. Prices run about $100 for a frame. Once on, it will be extremey difficult to remove, and it will be much thicker than paint, so on a really nice Itralian frame, it may not be the best choice.

Another choice is to have it painted by a frame painter. That will result in an excellent finish, but will run you about $350 or so. This frame is worth the expense, the only question is whether that's a realistic option for you.

A third choice is to take it to an auto body shop and have them match the color and mix a batch. That should run you approximately $40 for something like a pint. They might even be able to put it in a rattle can for you. Then, afte they mix the paint, it's up to you to properly prepare the frameset (people here can tell you how to remove all the rust), prime it, and paint it yourself. This will be the cheapest route for paint, but the results will depend upon your skill and patience with sanding, spraying, and buffing automotive paint.

Last edited by Blue Order; 07-01-08 at 07:29 PM.