View Single Post
Old 07-02-08, 08:42 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1863 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
That is my main thought as I have got into the habit of keeping the feet firmly clipped in and hold the bars for grim death when I am going over. Saves me putting a limb out and breaking it. And the other point is that my reactions are so slow- I don't have time to think about saving myself. I just find myself upside down still clipped in and 6" of mud down my neck.
Hmmm - putting out my arm on a fall last November resulted in 1) preventing a broken collarbone, and 2) a serious case of rotator cuff inflamation. No tears or dislocation, just tendinitis, but I've lost a lot of muscle tone in it. One PT exercise is to lift and hold a 1/2 kg weight in an odd PT particular way. This results in serious shaking after 5 reps or so - I am amazed!

Physical therapists, my angels of pain! It really is helping me quite a bit.

I always thought I could pull my foot out of the pedal and handily catch my fall with my toeclip pedals loosely strapped but I guess I'm just not as quick as in my 20s -- duuhhh!

Stapfam, stop by for a beer someday!

Road Fan