View Single Post
Old 07-05-08, 06:26 PM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
A chap went into a thrift store on Hawaii and saw a Bottecchia with full Campagnolo for sale for $60. He was a student and didn't have much money and told the woman working there, asking if it would go any cheaper. She screamed across the shop to the owner that there was a student with no money, causing him some embarrassment, and could he have the bicycle any cheaper. He shouted back, Okay then, he can have it for $30! He only had $20 so he asked the friend with him if he had $10. His friend only had $9 so he asked if they would take $29. She screamed across the shop that the student only had $29 and the owner said okay. As the chap wheeled the bike out of the thrift store time stood still and he kept expecting someone to shout, No, there's been a mistake! But no one did.

That was 8 years ago and the frame is now in Tokyo and the ex-student from Hawaii is offering to sell it to me. I shall be going to look at it this afternoon. I was very interested when he offered it to me a couple of months ago. Less now as in the meantime I've bought a Hetchins and all my thoughts are on getting parts to build it up.